Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Where's Colleen?

In the long pause between this and my last post, I've gone to a residency upstate, come back with a body of work, shown in 6 group shows and 2 solo shows in the city.  So, taking a pause from that, I'm back to getting inspired and meeting artists at gallery shows.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

Pace Gallery's Tara Donovan show.  The reception was packed!  So many fantastic pieces, all abstract and seeming to be focused on light.  I even managed to run into some friends I hadn't seen since last april!  I also met their friend who's interning at Pace Gallery!


Scope Art Fair, where I finally saw Carol Prusa's work!  I've been trying to see her fantastic light-filled domes since I missed her show in Chelsea last fall!  Sadly they were a lot smaller than I had thought, and were hidden in a corner. (what?) so were much less impressive.  But the detail and 3D effect was still inspiring.   
Photo prints on layers of glass

Waterfall By Hiroshi Senju of Sundaram Tagore Gallery

Huge! A wall of water in paint.  I ran across this gallery today in my most recent Chelsea visits.







Chelsea, 2/23-2/24.  The shows I saw inspired, but what was fascinating was how the visits ended.  Each day I was called to work as a PA or show up to an interview!  It was as if the moment I was inspired to go home and work, new opportunities started up.

Photo/Sculpture at Jack Shainman Gallery by Robert & Shana Parkeharrison  



I fell in love with the solitude of this piece, especially the display of photos beneath glass.  They depicted space, and the glass really added to their depth.



Anton Kern Gallery, Painting by Jonas Wood 
The colors created such depth, and with the scale so large (120 x 104 1/4 inches for the above painting), the space became so convincing that I literally felt like there was a room in front of me.  I was inspired by the rich color, the geometrical approach to the subject.  It was also just so thoughtful.


DC Moore Gallery, oil and gold leaf painting by Robert Kushner
The style of this artist's paintings was more like drawing, and I loved the layering of gold leaf with paint.  He also had a WALL packed with drawings of flowers and leaves on book pages.  The mixed media, and the quantity were really impressive.

PPOW, Painting by Julie Heffernan
My last stop on the second day was PPOW gallery, where I happened upon Julie Heffernan's painting in a backroom.  Unbeknown to me, this is the gallery that represents her!  Julie visited Hampshire College when I was in my 3rd year, and gave an inspiring artist talk.  Her tales of living in the city, working a day job and rushing home to paint every day truly inspired me, and here I am 4 years later working to make the same success story happen in my life!  And then poof, a call came to work on a production gig just as I was leaving, and I was on my way again, balancing work and my art career.

No comments:

Post a Comment