Tuesday, May 18, 2010

610 Dean Studio Party

I went to this a week ago and saw some interesting stuff.  Scott introduced me to his fellow Pratt alumns at their studio party in Brooklyn.
 
David Pierce
Traffic makes Traffic #2
Ink on Rice Paper Stretched on Canvas
30" x 48"
Saw the work of David Pierce and fell in love with his older meticulously drawn work.  From far away, they held such weight and were rich in texture.  From up close you would get lost in his tiny circles.  Very different from my work, but very inspiring.

 Gary Cullen
19 steps and repercussions
oil, cold wax enamel & pigment based marker on canvas
48"x52"
He and this artist, Gary Cullen,  created DJ Mayonnaise Hands, and they do some really awesome interviews.   Did I mention they're crazy?

Also met an incredible photo-realistic artist named Albert Shelton who is currently working in the studio of Jeff Koons.  I heard that one of his jobs is to carefully mix the right values of paint.  I think doing something that precise for hours would make me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. And drawing all those minute circles and endless details don't? You're funny!

    ReplyDelete