Sunday, May 16, 2010

Causey Contemporary, Like The Spice, The Front Room, Art 101

My second Friday in Brooklyn, I went on a gallery opening adventure with Malin.  We hit up Causey Contemporary, Like the Spice, Parker's Box, The Front Room, and Art 101.

At Causey Contemporary, I fell in love with this photo/photogram by Chuck Kelton:
The reception was really upscale for our walking clothes, and I opted out of meeting the artist.  But I absorbed a lot from the show anyway.

Next was Like the Spice, which was featuring the show "The Homeless Boys Social Club"  by Greg Haberny:

It was an installation in the gallery and basement of the work the artist had completed in his residency there.  Really edgy, political art.  I didn't have the chance to meet the artist that night, but actually met him at the Affordable Art Fair, where Like the Spice happened to be showing.  More on that later.

Then we went to the Front Room where I fell in love with the acrylic paintings of Gregory Curry.

I was so captivated by his ability to capture light through color and create his own worlds!  We spoke and he thanked me and Malin for coming, since we were the only people at the show who wandered in off the street and weren't family or friends.

He wanted me to e-mail him images of my work, and in our correspondence he gave me suggestions on introducing color to my drawings.  I can't wait to try putting down color washes and drawing over them, or starting on colored paper and adding different colors of ballpoint pen.  And now I have someone to critique them!


Then Malin had to leave, and I went on to Art 101:

I've never seen an art opening this FULL!  I had a hard time seeing the art because the rooms were so packed.  Met the artist who made this painting, and she seemed really great.  Then met the curator of the show, Jay Pluck, who seemed to think he had met me before.  He was adamant about me signing the guestbook, so maybe I'll be hearing from him again.

Loved all the opportunities and random conversations of the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment