Sunday, May 16, 2010

Affordable Art Fair


Before I came here, I was told by someone to show work at the Affordable Art Fair.  While it would've boosted my artistic career if I could've been in it, I found out that it was only for galleries and the artists they represent.  So I did the next best thing and volunteered.  Volunteering at the AAF was incredibly rewarding.  I was able to meet so many interesting people and see the art for free.  I met the ice cream truck vendor who created a life-size cardboard ice cream truck and sold painted cardboard ice cream cones, the curator of the recent graduate's booth, and one of the artists he featured.  I also met a Hampshire College grad from the 1980s who is himself a represented painter.  What are the chances of that?!  He reminded me that Hampshire College is a grad school equivalent, which reaffirmed my belief that I'm doing the right thing by starting my career right here right now.

The artists I met invited me out for drinks at the Back Room afterward to celebrate, and suddenly I had the chance to meet a group of other artists also making a living in the city.  One of them even recognized me from my time working at the Brooklyn pizzeria.  Not the best way to be known when I'm trying to start my career as an artist, but I'll take it.  Showed them all my work, they loved it, and then saw theirs.  I saw Scott's work, and was inspired by his use of contrast in his B&W photos.  Hans, the one who curated the grad's booth, creates large abstract paintings and is part of an artist collective.  He told me about an artist in the collective who also creates large ballpoint pen drawings!  I was fascinated and met the artist, Jack, at a later reception.

I'd say the Affordable Art Fair ended up being a great opportunity after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment