Sunday, May 16, 2010

Leo Kesting Gallery Opening

  Busted, 8" x 10", mixed media on canvas
Following up on Hans' invitation, I went to the Leo Kesting Gallery for the opening reception of Stand Yer Ground, a show full of vintage collages that juxtapose images of an idyllic 1950s-type of society  with the reality of sex, guns, and drugs.  I thought the tongue-in-cheek social commentary was well-articulated, and was impressed with the technical aspects of the collages.  I loved how the layers fit together to create a unique world.


 Jack Davletshin
 I met the artist Jack Davletshin that Hans told me about, and got to hear about his ballpoint world.  When he talked about the long process and made the familiar comment "And yes, it's ALL done in ballpoint pen" I knew we were on the same wavelength.  So great to meet someone who gets it!  Hopefully soon I'll head over to their artist collective and see both his and Hans' work.


Also met someone who was handing out ginkgo leafs.  My bronze ginkgo leaf pin made his day.  I gave him my card and--just like that--had someone else to go gallery hopping with.

No comments:

Post a Comment